Video-based learning has become an important part of corporate training delivery today. In this article, I share pointers that will help you identify what training videos would work best for your employees.
Choosing The Right Kind Of Video For Your Employee Training
Using videos for training employees has been around for a while. Of late, there is an acceleration in their usage. This is on account of the wider adoption of mobile learning and microlearning as they both leverage extensively on video-based learning.
Video is an immensely high-impact medium and when used as training videos for employees, they offer:
- High engagement quotient
- Sticky learning experience leading to higher retention and recall
The value of using training videos for employees lies in their ability to offer:
- Formal training which can be consumed “on the go”
- Instant job aids that are within the learners’ workflow and can be accessed at the moment of their need
- Informal learning
- Social learning
How Can You Use Training Videos For Your Employees?
You can use training videos for employees to supplement your corporate trainings and step up their impact. Some of the key trainings that can leverage on videos for employee training include:
- Induction and onboarding
- Soft skills training
- Product training
- Sales training
- Application simulations training
- Compliance training
The flexibility of training videos enables you to use them for:
- Formal training (online)
- Support Instructor-Led Training (ILT) or Virtual Instructor-Led Training (VILT)
- Performance Support (learning aids/job aids to support formal training)
- Social learning
This is not all. The true power of videos for employee training lies in their ability to contribute beyond learning or performance support intervention. They can contribute to other levels of the learning and performance ecosystem, notably to:
- Create a buzz or awareness (before the launch of the training program)
- Support crucial change management initiatives
- Continue the connect with the learners (post the training program)
Are There Any Drawbacks Or Limitations That You Should Be Aware Of As You Opt For Training Videos For Employees?
As I see it, there are a couple of aspects that you should note:
From The Development-And-Cost Perspective
The cost of video-based learning for formal training or as Performance Support is higher as compared to traditional eLearning development. You also need to be aware that any updates or enhancements do entail significant costs and lead time.
From The Learning-Impact Perspective
Even though video-based learning offers an immersive learning experience, the video does have an intrinsic limitation of “passivity”. It allows learners only to start/stop or pause.
This can impede the learning impact when you have long run length videos.
Additionally, you cannot track the learners’ progress as they go through videos for training.
What Kind Of Video Formats Can You Opt For In Order To Create Training Videos For Your Employees?
You have wide-ranging options that you can offer as training videos for your employees:
- Teaser videos
- Context-setting videos
- Explainer videos
- Scenario-based videos
- Story-based videos
- Complex decision-making branching simulation based videos
Are There Other Interesting Approaches That Can Enhance The Impact Of Training Videos For Employee Training?
Here are 3 interesting options that you should certainly consider:
1. Interactive videos
This is a Next Gen approach that creates highly interactive and immersive video-based learning solutions. It includes:
- Learning interactions that are similar to traditional eLearning (Hot spots, Click and Reveal and so on)
- Quizzes and assessments
- Learning paths that branch to different tracks based on learners’ choices
- Gamification elements
- Unlike traditional videos, interactive videos allow you to track learner performance, and they also offer SCORM output
2. Microlearning videos
These short, focused, bite-sized videos use rapid development approaches. They are particularly useful as a social learning tool. They are designed to be available within the learners’ workflow so that they can access the relevant bite exactly at the time of their need.
3. 360-degree videos for VR and AR
These can take your user engagement and stickiness of learning to an all high level.
What Kind Of Training Videos Would Resonate With Your Employees?
Modern learners face challenges of distractions and multi-tasking, and they certainly do not want to carve out a block of time for training. They want the training to be flexible, short, focused, and available on the go. So, as you opt for videos for your employee training, match it with their lifestyle and accordingly, craft the learning journey.
Here is a list of my top 5 strategies you should adopt as you offer training videos for your employees:
- Create the buzz or awareness and establish WIIFM (What Is In It For Me)
- Set context or teach concepts
- Offer learning followed by practice, application, and summaries
- Checkpoint learners’ progress and understanding
- Reinforce and keep the “Forgetting Curve” at bay
What Would Be The Impact Of Using Training Videos For Your Employees?
You would see:
- Higher engagement
- Better completion rates
- Better retention and recall
- Better performance support leading to better application of the acquired learning
- Increased focus on informal learning
- Higher ROI on your training spend
I hope this article gives you great ideas that you can use as you implement training videos for your employee training. If you have any specific queries, leave a comment below.
The post How To Choose The Right Kind Of Video For Your Employee Training appeared first on eLearning.